Monday, April 27, 2009

How can I transport this Lady's Slipper orchid, inside my house?

I found a rare wild pink Lady Slipper (Paphiopedilum) on my property, growing in rocks and moss. This type of orchid is very rare, not only where I live but in places across the world.I read I can transplant it inside my house. So how would I do that, and how will I take care of it? I really want to keep it safe, because I don't think it would survive in where it is living right now. So how can I transplant it and what are some tips for it? Thanks in advance.

How can I transport this Lady's Slipper orchid, inside my house?
Lady Slippers are very rare and do not transplant very well and usually don't survive. One of the reasons these orchids are so endangered is people transplanting them, however, if you do not think it will survive in it's current location you can follow these steps. At transplanting time, purchase a potting mix formulated especially for orchids and made of peat moss and perlite. Remove the plant gently from the ground, being careful to dig a large enough area around the plant to get out all the roots. Sterilize your shears with a match or a butane lighter, then remove the flower stem near the base of the plant. Examine the roots for any signs of disease. Cut injured roots away with the sterilized shears.





Shake excess soil from the roots, and position the plant in the new pot so that the leaves are just at the top of the pot. Add fresh potting mix, and work it between the roots. Water with tepid water after transplanting. There are also orchid pots on the market that have holes in the sides as well as the bottom to aid drainage. There are several excellent books on the market on more detailed care of orchids, most being available at amazon.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment